Friday, June 19, 2009

6/15/09 Uxmal to Villahermosa. 280 Miles. 11 Hours

Wake up and head to the ruins at Uxmal. It was a great way to cap the Mayan ruins run I've been on as it encompassed all of the great things about the other ruins in one setting. It was a natural jungle setting like Tikal, had the architectural impressiveness of Chichen Itza, and was not too huge and overwhelming like Tulum. After 2 or 3 hours I had seen the whole site and it was starting to get brutally hot so I headed out with no more scheduled stops until the border. Which was still 2 or 3 days away by my estimation. I decided to hug the coast of the Gulf of Mexico as much as I could on the way home and it didn't dissapoint with it's wonderful views of the sea to my right. It was a good feeling to be riding with no touristy destination in sight, just enjoying the ride itself and the knowledge that I would be back in the States in a couple of days. Passed through the beautiful seaside city of Campeche, capital of the state of the same name and followed the coast to Ciudad del Carmen. From there I entered into the state of Tabasco where it got dark and I finally hit that hard rain I had been avoiding. At least it was warm and I ended up pulling into the capital Villahermosa, finding a 10 dollar room and crashing hard. Tomorrow I didn't think I could get to the border but I would just try to keep enjoying the ride, making good time, and getting as close as I could.

1 comment:

  1. I love the bright colors they paint their buildings.

    ReplyDelete